Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Bread.


Yeah. I said peanut butter banana bread.


I put a period at the end of the title of this post because it should stop you in your tracks. It should take care of any legume-and-tropical-fruit needs you will really ever have. When I found out that this was a possibility, it raised all sorts of emotions and questions such as "Why didn't I think of this?" "Why wasn't I told?" and "How come there are no ripe bananas at the supermarket when you need them?" (This is a banana emergency people!) (Banergencey?)



With these questions in mind, I absolutely could not wait to try it out. In fact, I rose bright and early to do so. And, let me tell you, the results were totally worth it. This bread means business. This bread is Not. Messing. Around.



As you may notice, the bananas I used were not the typical over-ripe kind you would use for banana bread. For the aforementioned reasons, I used them anyway, and the result was still great. Using bananas with stronger flavor may make it even more flavorful, though. And, take note: This bread does not have to be for breakfast. I suspect that it would be amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, or even a drizzle of caramel.



There's really only one thing I'll be adding next time: chocolate chunks.

Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Makes 2 small loaves.

2 cupa all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup low-fat yogurt
1/3 cup (heaping) creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups ripe, mashed banana (about 4 medium bananas)
2 tsp. vanilla
Chocolate chips (if you can handle it)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, until well blended. Beat in mashed bananas, yogurt, vanilla, and peanut butter. Add flour, baking soda, and salt and blend together.

Spoon into loaf pans (or muffin tins, if you'd like!). For two smallish loaves, I put them in the oven for 45 minutes. In general, just bake until a toothpick comes out clean.


Recipe adapted slightly from Baking Serendipity

No comments:

Post a Comment